Monday, March 20, 2006

Project Lent

It is the lent halfway point and I have successfully given up desert, even resisiting chocolate cheesecake at a party the other day. My bonus sacrifice this year was to give up complaining which seemed like even more of a challenge, since no desert would certainly lead to a grumpier disposition.
Each year, I try to increase the degree of difficulty, always trying to be mindful of a new way to test my discipline.
As I pass on the chocolate bars, the lemon drop cookies and the coconut custard pie, I am reminded of my power to say no, to resist. If anything, that is what lent always reminds me of, that the choice to do or not to do is solely mine. A pretty good reminder to take with me all year long.
The church tells us that those who truly understand the meaning of lent emerge as a completely changed person. Nearly midway through this year and having had to say no more often yes, I can see myself willpower increasing, a subtle but notable change-- and that is nothing to complain about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home