Friday, November 25, 2005

Do you know what you have?

We talk a lot today about our problems on the job. From"my boss is working me to the bone" to "that new client is really high maintenance." to "I don't get paid enough to do this job." Some even lament over "a bad hair day," missing a bus or misplacing a cell phone.
All common complaints in our modern over stressed society. Everyone, it seems is feeling underappreciated and over worked.
As I saddled up to this year's Thanksgiving feast, I was honored to be seated across the table from a Marine returning from a tour of duty in Iraq. His job as a team leader on active duty presented it's own brand of stress including heavy gun fire and being woken in the middle of night for search and seizure missions.
As he spoke, I began to realize how easy it is to take the important aspects of life for granted. Often caught up in our own little dramas, we don't give thanks, but once a year. I don't think that is enough. My plan, give thanks everyday to my family, friends and work colleagues all of which make my life better.

It was a wake up call, I won't soon forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home