Monday, December 19, 2005

Have you been good?

At this time of year, when seeing a child, any child, I inevitably turn into the Santa Police.

"Hi, little Johnny, have you been good? Are you ready for Santa to visit?" I question.

It made me think that what I think about being good and what little Johnny thinks is being good are two very different, although viable definitions. Inevitably "being good" for me is the ability to suppress the urge to buy two cashmere sweaters per every holiday gift given or to scoop up Lindt truffles by the handfuls. It always involves too much shopping and too much chocolate.

Young Johnny, however is working on the basics. He is trying to be nice to his classmates, share his toys with his sister and respect his mother and father.

I will try hard to keep Johnny's definition in mind as I round up the remaining items on my list. I just hope the cashmere is not on sale!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home