Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Practice an Uncluttered Life

As a practicing yogi, I am contstantly amazed at the similarities between getting organized and the thousand year old practice. Could the ancient yogis have anticpated that modern people would be encountered with so much clutter? I like to believe that they did.

One of the most interesting aspects of the yoga practice is the notion of not wanting. Good practioners are to clear their minds entirely of their wants, ultimately reaching a place where mind and body are uncluttered. This leads to detachment of the hightest order. It leads me to believe that I probably do not need another cashmere sweater.

This concept is particularly relevant at this time of year, when the acquisition of material goods is unescapable. Even though I have only scraped the surface of my own shopping list, I am trying to be a bit more yogi-like when heading to the mall. Perhaps I can breathe deeply enough to get through the season without too much excess.

It certainly is worth a try!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home