Friday, December 16, 2005

One thing at a time, literally

The frantic pace of the holiday season is a constant reminder of how fast we move, how many tasks we manage and how much is on our collective plate. But perhaps it is just the time of year to slow down.

This week my computer failed me. For three days, I was in a frenzy trying to compensate for the loss of the most important tool for my work. Instead of typing away to friends and colleagues, I picked up the phone, wrote with a pen and took in a few good yoga classes. This breakdown allowed me to minimize my multitasking ways.

Ironically, the computer which began the multitasking craze was just the thing to make me slow my pace and to do one thing at a time. By the end of the week I was nearly caught up with the pressing tasks.

The computer and I are reunited once again and our love affair can continue. I realize now how different we are. Unlike computers, humans should only do one thing at a time and do it well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home